This coming weekend, around 37 million Americans will be heading to beaches, picnics, parties, reunions, and more. That means there will be plenty of planes in the sky and cars on the road to make travel more congested. With gas prices still at a reasonable level, automotive travel will be up around 5% this year (according to AAA), which means we’ll be seeing the highest Memorial Day volume in a decade.
To have the smoothest and most enjoyable Memorial Day weekend trip, consider these tips:
- The heaviest travel volume will be Thursday, Friday, and Monday in the early afternoon and evening, so plan to travel early in the morning or on Saturday or Sunday.
- If you’re flying, remember the 3-1-1 rule: any liquids, creams, aerosols, pastes, or gels must be in quantities of 3.4 ounces or less and all bottles must be placed in a quart-sized plastic bag. Keep the bag in an accessible place, because it will need to be in a separate bin from your luggage when you go through security.
- Before setting off in your car, make sure the air pressure in all of your tires is at the correct level. This will not only help you save gas, but will also keep your ride comfortable and safe.
- For longer road trips, pack plenty of snacks and drinks to reduce the number of times you need to stop.
- Plan out your route. Before you set out for your destination, make sure you have a clear sense of where you’re going. It’s also a good idea to plan out a second route in case you run into road work or an accident.
- If children are tagging along on your trip, pack plenty of entertainment to keep them occupied in the car or on the plane. Try coloring books, stickers, hand-held games, books, and more.
- Thoroughly clean the inside and outside of your car windshield, as well as the blades on your wipers. If you encounter any rain, you’ll be able to see much more clearly and travel safer.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen! Memorial Day marks the start of beach season for many people, and it’s important to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Park with us! We offer Philadelphia Airport short-term parking that’s perfect for your holiday weekend. Make your reservation today!